- â€śParties or Portfolio? The Economic Consequences of Africa’s Cumbersome Cabinets,â€ť (with Assen Assenov) Government and Opposition (forthcoming 2015)
- â€śâ€™I am Here until Development Comes:â€™ Displacement, Demolitions, and Property Rights in Urbanising Abuja,â€ť (with Josiah Olubowale) African Affairs (June 2014).
- “Analytic Authoritarianism and Nigeria,â€ť Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics (52, no. 2, 2014).
- â€˘ â€śSectarian Rebellions in Post-Transition Nigeria Compared,â€ť Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 8, 1 (2013): 1-18.
- “Questioning Tocqueville in Africa: Continuity and Change in Civil Society During Nigeria’s Democratization,” Democratization (Vol. 18, No. 1, February 2011).
- “Power Sharing in Africa’s Uncertain Democracies,” Governance: an International Journal of Policy, Administration, and Institutions (Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2011)
- Book Review, Africa: Unity, Sovereignty, and Sorrow, by Pierre Englebert. Political Science Quarterly 125, 4 (winter 2010-11).
- “The Political Economy of African Responses to the U.S. Africa Command,” Africa Today (Vol 57., No. 1, Fall 2010)
Make your teaching easier!Â Click here for a lecture template that you can use with courses which assign this article.
- Next Steps for Nigeria’s Democracy,â€ť International Affairs Forum, January 2008.
- â€śElections in Nigeria: Is the Third Time a Charm?â€ť (with Joyce Pitso and Bodunrin Adebo) in Journal of African Elections 2 (Oct. 2003): 30-47.Â Published by the Electoral Institute of Southern Africa.
- Dictators and Democracy in African Development: the Political Economy of Good Governance in Nigeria,” (Cambridge University Press, 2015)
- In Democracyâ€™s Shadow: the Secret World of National Security, co-edited with Marcus Raskin, (Nation Books, 2005).
- â€śCollective Causes of Electoral Reformâ€ť (with Amarachi Utah) in Eghosa Osaghae, ed. (forthcoming 2014).
- Nigeria (with Patrick Ukata) in Countries at the Crossroads 2012 (New York: Freedom House, 2012)
- Nigeria (with Patrick Ukata) in Countries at a Crossroads 2010 (New York: Freedom House, 2010).
- â€śPolitics in Nigeriaâ€ť (with Oladimeji Aborisade and Robert Mundt) in Comparative Politics Today (tenth edition), edited by Gabriel Almond, Bingham Powell, Kaare StrĂ¸m and Russell Dalton (New York: Longman, 2010).
- â€śFederal Structure, Decentralization and Government Performanceâ€ť in Nigerian Federalism in Crisis: Critical Perspectives and Political Options, edited by Ebere Onwudiwe and Rotimi Suberu (Ibadan: Program on Ethnic and Federal Studies and John Archer Publishers, 2005).
- â€śThe National Security State and the Tragedy of Empireâ€ť (co-authored with Marcus Raskin), in Raskin and LeVan, op. cit.
- â€śThe National Security State, War and Congressâ€ť (co-authored with Marcus Raskin), in Raskin and LeVan, op cit.
You can also access some of my other papers via the Social Science Research Network by clicking here.