- “Analytic Authoritarianism and Nigeria,â€ť Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics (forthcoming vol. 51, no. 3, 2013).
- “Questioning Tocqueville in Africa: Continuity and Change in Civil Society During Nigeria’s Democratization,” Democratization (Vol. 18, No. 1, February 2011).
- “Power Sharing in Africa’s Uncertain Democracies,” Governance: an International Journal of Policy, Administration, and Institutions (Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2011)
- Book Review, Africa: Unity, Sovereignty, and Sorrow, by Pierre Englebert. Political Science Quarterly 125, 4 (winter 2010-11).
- “The Political Economy of African Responses to the U.S. Africa Command,” Africa Today (Vol 57., No. 1, Fall 2010)
Make your teaching easier!Â Click here for a lecture template that you can use with courses which assign this article.
- Next Steps for Nigeria’s Democracy,â€ť International Affairs Forum, January 2008.
- â€śElections in Nigeria: Is the Third Time a Charm?â€ť (with Joyce Pitso and Bodunrin Adebo) in Journal of African Elections 2 (Oct. 2003): 30-47.Â Published by the Electoral Institute of Southern Africa.
- â€śKeeping the Baloney Out of Africa,â€ť op-ed in The Hill, April 28, 2008.
- â€śBe Careful Libby Case Doesnâ€™t Lead to More Secrecy,â€ť op-ed in The Hill, November 2005.
Working Papers and Essays Under Review
- Africa’s Cumbersome Cabinets: Preferences and Performance (with Assen Assenov; under review)
- “Ethnic Migration, Economic Uncertainty, and Property Rights in Abuja, Nigeria,â€ť co-authored with Josiah Olubowale (requested revisions in progress)
- The Failed State Narrative and Boko Haram in Nigeria (requested revisions in progress)
- Decentralization and Corruption in Nigeria’s Education Sector
- In Democracyâ€™s Shadow: the Secret World of National Security, co-edited with Marcus Raskin, (Nation Books, 2005).
- Nigeria (with Patrick Ukata) in Countries at the Crossroads 2012 (New York: Freedom House, 2012)
- “Collective Causes of Electoral Reformâ€ť (with Amarachi Utah) in Eghosa Osaghae, ed. (forthcoming 2013).
- Nigeria (with Patrick Ukata) in Countries at a Crossroads 2010 (New York: Freedom House, 2010).
- â€śPolitics in Nigeriaâ€ť (with Oladimeji Aborisade and Robert Mundt) in Comparative Politics Today (tenth edition), edited by Gabriel Almond, Bingham Powell, Kaare StrĂ¸m and Russell Dalton (New York: Longman, 2010).
- â€śFederal Structure, Decentralization and Government Performanceâ€ť in Nigerian Federalism in Crisis: Critical Perspectives and Political Options, edited by Ebere Onwudiwe and Rotimi Suberu (Ibadan: Program on Ethnic and Federal Studies and John Archer Publishers, 2005).
- â€śThe National Security State and the Tragedy of Empireâ€ť (co-authored with Marcus Raskin), in Raskin and LeVan, op. cit.
- â€śThe National Security State, War and Congressâ€ť (co-authored with Marcus Raskin), in Raskin and LeVan, op cit.
You can also access some of my other papers via the Social Science Research Network by clicking here.