- “Parties or Portfolio? The Economic Consequences of Africa’s Cumbersome Cabinets,” (with Assen Assenov) Government and Opposition (forthcoming 2015)
- “’I am Here until Development Comes:’ Displacement, Demolitions, and Property Rights in Urbanising Abuja,” (with Josiah Olubowale) African Affairs (June 2014).
- “Analytic Authoritarianism and Nigeria,” Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics (52, no. 2, 2014).
- • “Sectarian Rebellions in Post-Transition Nigeria Compared,” Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 8, 1 (2013): 1-18.
- “Questioning Tocqueville in Africa: Continuity and Change in Civil Society During Nigeria’s Democratization,” Democratization (Vol. 18, No. 1, February 2011).
- “Power Sharing in Africa’s Uncertain Democracies,” Governance: an International Journal of Policy, Administration, and Institutions (Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2011)
- Book Review, Africa: Unity, Sovereignty, and Sorrow, by Pierre Englebert. Political Science Quarterly 125, 4 (winter 2010-11).
- “The Political Economy of African Responses to the U.S. Africa Command,” Africa Today (Vol 57., No. 1, Fall 2010)
Make your teaching easier! Click here for a lecture template that you can use with courses which assign this article.
- Next Steps for Nigeria’s Democracy,” International Affairs Forum, January 2008.
- “Elections in Nigeria: Is the Third Time a Charm?” (with Joyce Pitso and Bodunrin Adebo) in Journal of African Elections 2 (Oct. 2003): 30-47. Published by the Electoral Institute of Southern Africa.
- Dictators and Democracy in African Development: the Political Economy of Good Governance in Nigeria,” (Cambridge University Press, 2015)
- In Democracy’s Shadow: the Secret World of National Security, co-edited with Marcus Raskin, (Nation Books, 2005).
- “Collective Causes of Electoral Reform” (with Amarachi Utah) in Eghosa Osaghae, ed. (forthcoming 2014).
- Nigeria (with Patrick Ukata) in Countries at the Crossroads 2012 (New York: Freedom House, 2012)
- Nigeria (with Patrick Ukata) in Countries at a Crossroads 2010 (New York: Freedom House, 2010).
- “Politics in Nigeria” (with Oladimeji Aborisade and Robert Mundt) in Comparative Politics Today (tenth edition), edited by Gabriel Almond, Bingham Powell, Kaare Strøm and Russell Dalton (New York: Longman, 2010).
- “Federal Structure, Decentralization and Government Performance” in Nigerian Federalism in Crisis: Critical Perspectives and Political Options, edited by Ebere Onwudiwe and Rotimi Suberu (Ibadan: Program on Ethnic and Federal Studies and John Archer Publishers, 2005).
- “The National Security State and the Tragedy of Empire” (co-authored with Marcus Raskin), in Raskin and LeVan, op. cit.
- “The National Security State, War and Congress” (co-authored with Marcus Raskin), in Raskin and LeVan, op cit.
You can also access some of my other papers via the Social Science Research Network by clicking here.